Fall will soon be in full swing. The kids are back to school. All the extracurricular activities are underway – sports, band, theater, choir and the list goes on. Don’t forget about your own work schedule. Some days it feels like you don’t have time to sit down for 5 minutes and the last thing you want to do when the weekend finally arrives is clean – especially your floors…
Is mopping the floor regularly really necessary?
Absolutely. With the amount of dirt and germs that find their way into your home every day on the bottom of your children’s shoes, and on their clothes and backpacks, skipping floor cleaning is not an option.
How often do I need to clean my floors?
High traffic areas like the kitchen and bathrooms should be wet mopped at least once a week. Rooms that have less traffic – like guest rooms or formal living rooms – can be mopped less often.
Once a week does sound like a lot, but the good news is that having clean floors (and a clean house) doesn’t have to mean losing your Saturday or Sunday morning to chores… You can make cleaning more manageable by breaking each task up into smaller ones that can be done during the week.
Here are some tasks you can do throughout the week to help reduce the time it takes to clean your floors on the weekend:
1. Daily sweeping or vacuuming. Spend a few minutes each day sweeping or vacuuming the high-traffic areas to prevent dirt and debris from accumulating.
2. Deal with spills and stains quickly. By promptly addressing spills or messes when they happen, you’ll prevent them from becoming stubborn stains.
3. Dust and dry mop. Dust your floors regularly with a microfiber mop or dust mop to prevent dust from settling. The Bona dust mop in the Bona Premium Microfiber Mop Set is perfect for the job.
4. Place a doormat outside your entrances. Doormats trap dirt and debris before any gets tracked into your home.
5. Remove your shoes before entering your home. This prevents outside dirt from being tracked onto the floors.
What is the most hygienic way to mop floors?
It’s important to use the right cleaning products and the right techniques to properly clean your floor. Here are some tips:
1. Make sure you’re using the right products for the type of flooring you’re cleaning. Some manufacturers may recommend specific products to be used on their floors. If you’re not sure what you should be using, you can browse our extensive inventory of floor cleaning products by flooring type or by manufacturer.
2. Make sure you’re starting with a clean mop or mop pad. If you’re using a mop, microfiber or cotton is preferable. If you’re using a mop pad, the Premira® Disposable Microfiber Mop Pads we recently added to our inventory are incredible for removing dirt. In fact, these pads are so good at removing and trapping dirt, that they’re used in healthcare settings, hospitality and retail stores.
Ready to get your floors clean and keep them that way?
1877FloorGuy has all of the floor cleaning supplies you need to keep your floors – no matter what type of flooring – clean. Browse our inventory today!